Saturday, November 26, 2016

Are You Lost in Second Life?




Not all those who wander are lost. 

J. R. R. Tolkien





Sometimes, I have time on my hands. 

(Significant Other thinks this can be dangerous, very dangerous.)

Sometimes, I use this time to think Big Thoughts about Second Life (SL).


(Significant Other says at least this keeps me off the streets in Real Life (RL).)

Lately, one of these has been bothering me.

The Big Thought that’s been bothering me is whether or not you can be lost in SL?

Being lost, whether in SL or RL, can have different meanings for different people.

Maybe you can’t figure out where you are or how you got there.

Maybe you can’t figure out how to do anything at all.

Or, perhaps, you can’t even figure out why you’re even there at all!

Let’s talk a little more about being lost inworld.

What might the symptoms be? 

There’s feeling overwhelmed, not being sure what to do next, or just a feeling of total helplessness. 

(Significant Other says being lost in a car with me in RL can induce all of these feelings simultaneously.)

How can this happen in a virtual world like SL?

Is SL just a rabbit hole that one falls through?

Is being lost just a consequence of switching realities from RL to SL?

Or, perhaps, my favorite here, just inadequate user documentation to help guide the hordes of newcomers to SL, many of whom leave shortly in frustration. 

Can anything be done about these feelings of being lost in SL?

Maybe a few things…

Like just sticking it out or…

Soliciting help from others who have managed to make the cut…

Or, simply quitting.  (I personally don’t like this option.)

Sometimes, I wonder if being lost inworld is simply part of the maturity process for those brave to enter SL. 

Maybe it’s just Darwinian selection.  (Although, that might be more appropriate for World of Warcraft.) 

Or, just possibly, like anything that’s worthwhile doing, it’s just a matter of staying the
course and coming out on the other side!

What are your thoughts about being lost in SL?

I’d be happy to hear and I if I get enough I’ll write a follow-piece!

Look forward to hearing from you! 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!



No comments: