Saturday, July 8, 2017

Are You Seasonal in Second Life?






In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Albert Camus





Recently, as is my wont, I wandered around in Second Life (SL).

I thought it was very quiet.  Not many friends were inworld and not too many others were about either.  (I’ll ignore Significant Other’s observation that folks were just avoiding me.  Who’d want to do that? Please don’t feel any need to reply.)

I wondered why.

It’s just turned summer here where I live in Real Life (RL).  There were also Fourth of
July celebrations here as well in RL.

Could it be that RL seasons affect how many of us are ever inworld at any particular time?

Let’s discuss this!

Yes, we have seasons in SL.

Some sims have the same season all the time, some mimic the RL seasonal cycle, and others are simply at the whim of their owners. 

RL seasons, on the other hand, tend to be more predictable.

Like where I live in RL, we have four pretty much distinct seasons. 

(Significant Other requests that I mention summer is not Significant Other’s favorite but the remaining three are fine.)

Some places in RL, like Singapore and Florida, have pretty much the same weather all year round.  The amount of rain they receive and storms occurring may be the most distinguishing features of their seasons. 

What does this have to do with us?

Many of us appear to have our own routines in RL based on the seasons.

RL tends to draw some of us away when we receive better weather allowing us to go
outdoors.  Warmer temperatures not to mention longer hours of sunlight. 

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that RL warmer weather probably causes many of us to stay away from SL.  (Let’s face it, SL has beautiful beaches but they don’t quite compare to the feel of sand between your toes in RL!)

The weather gets colder and the days shorter, we come back inworld.  A variation on the RL snowbird theme!

What do you think?

Do RL seasons affect when we come in or not to SL? 

Does SL population numbers fall off during better weather?

What do you do?

Drop me a line and let me know!  If I get enough replies then I’ll do a follow up story.  I’m curious where we all go! 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
 please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!



No comments: